skip to main content
placeholder for top bar
Corning Union Elementary School District (CUESD) collects developer fees (a.k.a., school impact fees) on new residential and commercial construction within the Corning City limits.  Developer fees are also collected on additions and/or reconstruction to an existing single-family dwelling and commercial building that is 500 sq. ft. or more.  Developer fee revenues are used to accommodate student growth within our boundaries. 
The Procedure

The Procedure

Individuals submitting plans to the City of Corning will then be directed to CUESD to pay these fees.  The fees are based on the square footage listed in the letter issued by the City of Corning.  A copy of this City document must be submitted to CUESD at the time of fee payment.
CUESD will complete a Certificate of Compliance upon payment of fees which is then taken back to the City as proof of compliance.  The City will then issue your building permit. 
Credit cards are not accepted, checks or money orders only.
Fee Structure

Fee Structure

District Adopted Fee Rates – Effective November 14, 2018

Developer FAQ's

Q.  How are developer fees calculated
A.   Fees are calculated on the total number of livable foot space, times the per-square foot amount (see fee structure above).
Q.  Do I have to pay developer fees for an addition to my residence?
A.   Depends. If the addition is 499 square feet or less, no developer fees are owed.  You are exempt.  If the addition is 500 square feet or more, developer fees are owned for the entire addition.  If you are converting “unlivable” space (such as a garage or basement) into livable space that is more than 500 square feet, this qualifies for fees.
Q.  If my project is exempt from developer fees, do I still need to complete an application?
A.  Yes, you must still complete an application with the district even when the addition is less than 500 square feet so the district can issue a certificate showing the addition is exempt.
Q.  I don’t have any children. Do I still have to pay developer fees?
A.  Yes. Developer fees apply even if you have no children because there will be an impact on the district if you sell to someone with children.
Q.  Where do I go to pay developer fees?
A.  You will go to the Corning Union Elementary School District Office located at 1005 Hoag Street, Corning, CA.
Q.  I don’t live in the Corning City limits. Do I still have to pay developer fees and where do I go to pay the fees?
A.  If you live outside the Corning City limits, but within in the Corning Elementary boundaries, you will go to Red Bluff High School to pay your developer fees. Red Bluff High collects all Tehama County (non-city) developer fees and apportions those fees to the appropriate school district.
Q.  Do I have to pay developer fees to Corning High School as well?
A.  No. Corning Elementary collects all developer fees within the city limits.  60% of fees collected go to Corning Elementary, 40% of fees go to Corning High School.

What are ADUs and JADUS?

An ADU is an accessory dwelling unit with complete independent living facilities for one or more persons and has a few variations:
  • Detached: The unit is separated from the primary structure.
  • Attached: The unit is attached to the primary structure.
  • Converted Existing Space: Space (e.g., master bedroom, attached garage, storage area, or similar use, or an accessory structure) on the lot of the primary residence that is converted into an independent living unit.
A JADU is a specific type of conversion of existing space that is contained entirely within an existing or proposed single-family residence and are less than 500 square feet.  JADUs offer additional housing options as they may share central systems, contain a basic kitchen utilizing small plug-in appliances, and may share a bathroom with the primary dwelling.  JADUs present no additional stress on utility services or infrastructure because they simply repurpose existing space within the residence and do not expand the dwellings planned occupancy.
One important note is that JADUs can only be built on owner-occupied properties.  This means that the homeowner cannot possess an ADU if they do not occupy either the JADU or the primary home.  Owner occupancy requirements are outlawed for ADUs, but still apply to JADUs.
Maximum Unit Size
Yes. Generally, up to 1,200 square feet or 50% of the living area.
Yes.  500 square foot maximum
Yes.  500 square foot maximum.
No.  Common sanitation allowed.
Separate Entrance
Depends.  Parking may be eliminated and cannot be required under specific conditions.
No.  Parking cannot be required.
Owner Occupancy
Depends.  Owner occupancy may be required.  (New owner-occupancy exclusion is set to expire on December 31, 2024.)
Yes.  Owner occupancy is required.  Owner must reside in either the remaining portion of the primary residence, or in the newly created JADU.  (Gov. Code, Section 65852.22, subd. (a)(2).)
Ministerial Approval Process
Prohibition on Sale of ADU


Q. Will I be charged developer fees for my ADU?
A.  Yes. School districts are authorized to levy developer fees for ADUs greater than 500 square feet pursuant to Section 17620 of the Education Code.  ADUs less than 500 square feet are not subject to developer fees.
Q. Are the developer fees levied less for an ADU versus new construction?
A. If your ADU is greater than 500 square feet, then you are subject to the same fee structure as regular building construction (see the fee structure listed above).
Q. If my ADU is 499 square feet or less, do I still need to complete an application?
A. Yes, you must still complete an application with the district even when the ADU is less than 500 square feet so the district can issue a certificate showing the ADU is exempt.